The Foods to Eat for a Healthy Smile
Halloween is the time of year when we tend to overindulge and stock up on treats. It’s a good time to really pay attention to your oral hygiene routine. You’ll also want to be cautious about your diet. Let’s talk about the best foods for your teeth and gums.
Cleaning Teeth the Natural Way
Food that’s high in water content serves as natural teeth cleaners. These crunchy foods encourage the flow of saliva. They’re also ideal snacks as they can be enjoyed as is.
Here are examples:
- They taste great and are easily accessible. Munching on apples after a meal will also help flush down food debris.
- Chewing on raw carrots helps fight cavities, promote saliva production, and strengthen tooth enamel.
- Eating celery massages your gums and helps produce more saliva that neutralize acids in the mouth.
Keeping Bones Healthy and Strong
Our teeth lose and replenish minerals naturally. However, when the acidity level in the mouth is too high, minerals aren’t immediately replenished. Acid can wear away the tooth enamel.
Calcium is crucial as it strengthens the bones together with phosphorus. Calcium can be derived from these food choices:
- This popular snack is packed with calcium that shields the teeth against cavity-causing bacteria. Yogurt also helps balance acid levels in the mouth and slow down bacterial growth.
- Cheese. Cheese is rich in calcium and phosphate that strengthen the teeth. Like yogurt, it also helps balance the pH level in the mouth.
- Tofu is loaded with phosphorus, which makes it a tooth-friendly snack.
- Meat and poultry. These food choices are rich in protein and are also great sources of phosphorus. They also help protect and remineralize the tooth enamel.
Maximizing Calcium Absorption
Vitamin D is crucial as it helps the body absorb calcium. Without it, the mouth will be at risk for gum disease and tooth decay.
- Egg yolks. Include egg yolks to your diet too as it contains Vitamin D that protects against dental caries.
- Exposure to the sun. While this isn’t food, it’s the best source of Vitamin D. When the sun’s out, spend some time outdoors too. Even only 15 minutes under the sun can already benefit the body.
Enjoy your treats this October but make sure you keep your meals varied. Eat toward a stronger, healthy smile and have a Happy Halloween!
ASPEN SPRINGS DENTAL CENTRE
1 Hartwell Ave. Suite 300
Bowmanville, Ontario L1C 0N1
SERVING THE COMMUNITIES OF:
- Mitchell Corners
Copyright 2019 Aspen Springs Dental Centre & Dental Growth Strategies | All Rights Reserved | Powered by Dental Growth Strategies